Question:
literary credibility of twilight?
2008-10-17 21:12:28 UTC
ok so basically i want all of those pre teen girls to answer this one. What is it that draws you to twilight? besides the superficial protagonist? Is there possibly any literary merit to these novels? I want you to justify to your reasons and give a coherent response, devoid of any pseudo msn-lingo.

The way i see it is it's just the poor man's version of the Anne Rice novels, lacking the philosophical and perplexity its predecessor had. Not to mention it's filled to the brim with plot-holes (Edward is a vampire who's a hundred or so years old, why does he need to go to school (you'd think he'd cover the rudiments of education in that time)? and correct me if i'm wrong but isn't school in daytime? Not to mention the amount of cliche's involved: mean girls meets interview with a vampire, Edward doesn't drink human blood = Louis, girl falls head over heels with the protagonist, however doesn't take into repercussions of her actions (safety of loved ones), along with a whole plethora of stupidity.

So go ahead try and convince me on why
Seven answers:
Little Miss Wolf <3
2008-10-17 21:18:54 UTC
i read twilight because I am desperately in love with Jacob Black even though everyone hates him and he is fictional :]

Plus, isn't it all right to loosen up and read a light book once in a while? I have read tons of great literature, classics, with a ton of literary value, but if you REALLY wanted to expand your horizons, you should read just about everything! Even if it's crap!

I personally enjoyed Twilight. No, it wasn't the most insightful book I have ever read, but it was fun!

I wouldn't call reading an easy novel "dumbing myself down"... it's not like I turn into an idiot because I read a book... darling you appear to be quite immature. It's like what I said to this other person, you are B - I - T - C - H ing off through a question, simply because you cant stand the fact that others enjoyed a book you disliked!

Also, I see your question, your supposed knowledge, all fake. You are deliberately trying to include these "big advanced words", when I'm sure they are not in your every day vocabulary. You put them in at odd places, like you are trying to act like you are smart, (hey, let's throw in a big word like plethora!) when you really are just average. Possible a bit above, but yes. My point has been made.

I'm 13 as well

Dear me, you really need to blow of some steam, huh?! We are disagreeing with you. Not everyone will always have the same opinion as you... you don't like the book. Some people do. Get. Over. It.

Wuthering heights is mentioned frequently in the books... obviously Stephenie Meyer agrees with you that it's good!

I cannot believe how you can be so immature! Not everyone can sit through shakespeare, or other classics! I can, but many people cannot. So you insult them and tell them that a book they enjoy sucks. Well you know what? That's incredibly rude of you!

Let them read what they want. Why should you care?)

(I was going into this question to have a clean, diplomatic arguement. Obviously, you couldn't do this and resulted in insulting the answerers.... where is the logic behind this? So I insult you as return. Perhaps I have too much pride but that is A-OKAY with me!)

Ah yes. Praise yourself. That's a good strategy. Call yourself a witty, intelligent hero, and us all idiots. Now THAT is the way to win an argument! *rolls eyes* Please. If you are oh so smart you should at least know the correct way to write an argument that people will actually care about and praise you for. We learned this is seventh grade....
Lizzy
2008-10-18 04:43:26 UTC
It not such the actual literary credibility, but the whole sprit of it. I mean come on Stephenie Meyer isn't like some big and incredible author, she simply is a stay-at home mom who had an amazing idea that was the Twilight series (Well really chapter 13 in the first book, it was a dream she had.)

Girls just love the whole romance and supernatural. Thats it.

But I just am laughing over the fact that i have not heard of Anna Rice, and you are calming that she is better author then Stephenie Meyer. I DONT KNOW WHO IS AND THATS NOT THE PONIT. The point is that Twilight is a commercial success, and every girl had her reasons for liking it. Twilight made Stephenie Meyer millions of dollars, and she is now on the New York Times Best Seller list for weeks and weeks.

if you are still having trouble comprehending why us ' pre teen' girls are morbidly obsessed over twilight, think of it like this. This is our Anne Rice, this is our Interview with the Vampire, we haven't seen of read any of those BEACUSE we are 'pre teen'.

And please don't call it stupid, it just makes you look like an idiot.
Sarah A
2008-10-18 04:34:20 UTC
I love Twilight but it is very easy reading, Its like a pg/ vampires for dummies Anne Rice novel. It's big enough to make you feel like you've accomplished something and it's very hard to get lost. The cliches are explained in the novel as though some of the typical characteristics of vampires are just old wives tales. I'm just happy that teenagers are reading, if the it wasn't twilight these girls were talking about it'd be something else...
Marsha J
2008-10-18 04:42:39 UTC
people think girls read twilight for the vampires. theyre like oh you should read anne rice and heres a good vampire book..but the truth is we read it cause its about love! the vampire part is just a sexy perk of the book! girls read it causae its really romantic and sweet and we love edward. not because of the supernatural
wdmc
2008-10-18 05:39:04 UTC
There is no arguing with the willfully ignorant.

Read the books first, then I may consider explaining to you why I liked them. Otherwise, you are not worth my time.
2008-10-18 06:17:37 UTC
Twilight will never be a "great" and memorable piece of literature, true. You're right in saying it has little meaning to it, and it is highly vain. But think of it think way:

This book is aimed at teenaged girls. Other people like it, too, but the majority of the Twilight fans are female and adolescent. Why? Because this is what appeals to THEM. Twilight, for many, is simply a fun book to read. There's nothing wrong with that.

What are you trying to do? You do understand that you are fighting a losing battle, right? You can't UN-convince these people. It's time for you to suck it up and face the facts. People all over the world like this book. Just because it doesn't interest YOU doesn't make it a terrible book. If other people enjoy it, then who really cares what YOU think? Unless you are the omniscient god of all literature ever written in the history of mankind, your personal tastes and ideas are insignificant. Let people like what they like.

And by the way, you can't argue against a book that you haven't read. Talk about ignorance... Read the book, and then ask again. You're right. It's not hard at all. You could have it finished in a day if you're as smart as you're pretending to be.

I want to comment on a statement you made above.

"Being pre-teen equals stupidity."

Being pre-teen equals being blissfully ignorant to your own immaturity, which in turn shows itself as stupidity. Pre-teens are stupid without realizing it. I'd say that we all are, to some degree. You, me… but that doesn't matter. It's not only pre teens that are reading Twilight. It mainly is, but Twilight's success was not solely based on the 10-13 age group, I promise you that.

And I don't think Meyer took the 'animal blood' idea from Rice. Even as a young child, if someone mentioned vampires having to drink blood, my reaction was, "why don't they just drink animal blood?" Because, even at five, I understood that blood was basically blood despite the source. I hadn't ever seen or even HEARD of Rice at this point in my life, so obviously animal blood vs. human blood isn't an uncommon thought.

And why settle for second bests? Because there can only be one first best, and you're gonna get sick of it after a while. I also firmly believe that many teenagers couldn't comprehend the "classics." Besides, to many people, Rice would be second best to Meyer. It is simply a matter of opinion.

Everyone has their own tastes. What interests a child will differ from what interests a teenager, and the teenager's likes will differ from an adult's. Just get over it. You actually sound very stupid. You're trying to sound smarter than you are, and I started laughing so many times as I read your question that I can't even count. It's kind of funny, in a strange, ironic way. You KNEW that 99% of the responses to your question would be teenage girls. Knowing this, you seem to have purposely used vocabulary that they wouldn't understand in order to make yourself sound like 'the great philosopher of literature'.

Kids will like what they like. Then they'll grow out of it. You can't make them "grow out of it" any faster. Just let it be. Also, whether or not a book is considered "good" varies from every person. To you, this book is stupid, childish, and vain. Which it can be. To other people, this book is exciting, fun, and romantic. Which it also can be. Do you see how it depends entirely on the person?

Just suck it up. You aren't changing anyone's mind. You aren't sending some glorious form of enlightenment to all those who read this question. Some people like it. Some people hate it. Twilight, in my opinion, is not a WONDERFUL book, but it's fun. It's too shallow to be one of my favorites, but it's okay. This is ALL a matter of opinion.

Ha, I hope you didn't have to "dumb yourself down" to comprehend my response. Next time I feel tired, and want to put away my Shakespeare and pull out Twilight so I can just relax a little more, I'll be sure to call my teachers the night before and warn them that I might not do as well in their class the next morning because I had dumb myself down so I could read a book. Then I'll add that any changes in my thoughts would be due to the fact that I am being dictated by Stephenie Meyer. (Sarcasm included.)

EDIT: Reading the book will give you an idea on Stephenie Meyer's writing style. Maybe if you saw the way she describes things between Edward and Bella, you would get a better idea on WHY so many teenage girls like it. YOU might not like it, but maybe you could understand its popularity a litle more. Also, you could make better arguments against it instead of shouting plot holes that aren't really plot holes. I don't rightly care about your pudding statement. You should NEVER argue against a book you haven't read, you'll just come out sounding stupid.

My friends told me about Twilight. They told me the ENTIRE plot, from start to finish. I said I didn't want to read it because it sounded stupid. Then, after I become immensly annoyed with them, I gave in. It turned out that I enjoyed it. It doesn't matter if you know the basic plot of a story. It's actually READING it in the author's words that will make a difference (or make no difference, depending on the person or book.)

EDIT EDIT: This book is crap to you. Then to others, it is wonderful. It is an opinion! How many times do I have to tell you that? YOUR opinion means nothing. If other people like the book, then it is not crap to them. It can be crap to you all day long, I don't care. I just want you to understand that the quality of a book varies depending on its readers, and you aren't the one that gets the final say. You see this book as a joke. That's fine. Other people see it as a good book. That is equally fine! People who read this book aren't idiots. It simply appeals to their interests. It makes them seem idiotic to you, but it doesn't mean they really are. It's a good book for teenagers. There are better, there are worse. They are not idiots.You aren't some hero, either. You aren't rising up against the enemy that is Twilight. You're just some guy trying to make people see that Twilight is stupid, when that is completely a matter of opinion.
Anna
2008-10-18 07:09:58 UTC
EDIT

First, much appreciated if you could respond to *all* the arguments, not just a few that are easy to dispute

Ah Kierkegaard. Very interesting writing. Where did he write that quote?

You realize that you are no longer addressing why people read the book, but instead, you are attacking the people reading the books to justify the your insults? (Fallacies of Ad hominem & Judgmental Language)

You’re trying to discredit any arguments given against the person by claiming they’re stupid for reading the books. Even from your initial message, you assumed that anyone responding would do so in ‘pseudo msn-lingo’, as though challenging the other persons capabilities of coming up with any logical argument. Not to mention already setting negatives against the books by calling the love superficial and pretentious and calling out the ‘plethora of stupidity’ of the book (Poisoning the well)

Your singular reason for not reading the books is wordy and is confusing. Do you mean that you don’t read the books simply because it’s ‘dumb entertainment’? And by ‘dumb entertainment’ you’re discrediting the argument by making it sound ridiculous and without any substance (Appeal to ridicule)

We do *not* clearly know that we are settling for 2nd best. Who decides what is best. Who decided that Anne Rice is light years ahead? These premises are not totally watertight. So deciding not to read something because of a belief that it is only possibly 2nd best is inane (Begging the question)

Your arguments against the vampires and love are just plain wrong. The details of every book are different. Who said the vampires painted in this story are the same as the ones in common lore? And how did you actually come to the conclusion that the love is not love, but lust instead? (Generalization and *** hoc ergo propter hoc)

What does conceding that being pre-teen equals stupidity achieve in the argument of why people read Twilight?

Most of your arguments seem like Trivial Objections. And why nitpick at the arguments you know you can definitely argue against? It feels like you seem to cherry-pick which arguments you want to argue, and leave harder ones out

And finally this entire argument is like a Red Herring Fallacy. Instead of arguing ‘why people read Twilight which has no literary credit and is garbage’, it’s turning into proving, ‘you’re stupid because you read x’. On the way there, it was a straw man fallacy

Before claiming that one is a ‘witty, intelligent hero’ being overcome by a ‘plague of idiocy, make sure that one’s arguments are sound and logical

Admitting that you’re exploiting stupidity in the face of lack of arguments does not prove your point either. (Ignoratio Elenchi) If that’s your true intention, repeating ‘stupidity’ and similar words again and again does not make it true(Argumentum ad nauseam)

Why you have chosen not to read: False Analogy. Those analogies are of *outcomes*. They don’t relate to a conclusion of whether a book is good or not. Comparing a whether a book is good to the chances of contracting cancer? You’re comparing apples and oranges here. Pudding tasting is where it’s at.

Choosing not to read a book because you feel that whatever evidence you have garnered on the internet is not enough. Can you do Darwin’s Origin of Species justice by garnering information from the internet?

Critics do have a job to read into books, but who their taste the same with yours?

And about the books ‘badness’ being like trying to test against gravity: you’re already setting yourself not to listen to any arguments. Why post this question up then?

I do, however, concede that the commercial success led to the popularity of the book, but popularity does not equal greatness

ORIGINAL

I feel as though you are very insulting, and your comments feel very derogative. However I did not point that out so that it would somehow merit me insulting you. I simply wanted to raise that point because I don't feel that it's necessary for you to demean others that way, for any reason. People deserve more respect for that, and people get respect for doing much lesser actions

I've realised that I've ranted at you, even though I did not mean to, but understand that I - and others - am offended by your disparaging comments

So now Twilight

First I'll do away with the negatives:

- The writing is not the greatest. In fact, I'd say it's poor. I think it's probably because the prose is quite simplistic, and at times the book seems to try to delve into deeper philosophy, but I don't think it lives up to that potential at all (Possibly because that just is not Stephanie Meyer's writing style. Not everyone can write like Plato, Charlotte Brontë, Anne Rice etc.)

- The overall plot is cliched. I won't deny this. The big picture encompasses the idea of a girl who finds and wins true love

- It won’t be a classic. It’s not a profound and deep book, but it’s something people enjoy

Why the stories are so popular, in my mind:

- This is an idea that appeals to a great majority of people: to be able to find and win true love. I think the idea is as simple as that. The lure of that idea is... like the song of the Sirens, I daresay. It's a book that plays on a person's emotion, makes them happy, makes it enjoyable. I suppose I've fallen into the same argument that it's for entertainment purposes, but in a way, I feel that it's not simply entertainment. It is like we are trying to fill the want and indeed need of having that unwaverable life companion, of knowing that it exists in some form. The attempt of doing that with any media seems futile, but it's better to realise that one has that need and to try to fulfill it partly, than not to try at all

- Marketing. No book, movie, song, or indeed any sort of worldview such as political views, religions, etc., to be in more of a general context, can be successful unless it is advocated for and publicized by a large number of people. And the more aware that other people are made of it, the more that idea, let us say, becomes commonplace, more accepted, more popular. That idea gains momentum and people will jump on the wagon

- It’s aimed at that age group of preteens. Can you blame them for liking it them? Can you not simply accept that the simpler writing is for their benefit? More on benefit on the next point. And hey, everyone has their own tastes in books. Simply because it does not fit my taste in books, does not mean it is "bad"

- The text is simpler - yes, this is both a negative and a positive. You can hardly expect a 12-year-old to read, enjoy, *fully* appreciate and - most importantly - fully understand the text

Some of the classics are written in a very fluid manner; in an extremely elegant and poetic prose; and in a very archaic, mature tone that is tailored to older and thus more sophisticated speakers and readers

Indeed some of the best written books today are quite wordy, for lack of a better word. And the difficulty is that sometimes the material is not suitable for younger audiences. Society dictates what is appropriate for whom. And it has decided what is appropriate for children and preteens to read. And bear in mind that the books and other similar media that become classics may not always be as widely advertised, and thus less well known and less likely to be read and enjoyed. E.g. So even though people may not have discovered Anne Rice, is not saying that they immediately think of her as a bad writer. One needs to have an open mind to be able to find the 'good' ones in any section. Hey some of the most famous artists today, to give an analogy, died penniless because their art was considered 'bad' back then like Van Gogh

Now I am not saying that preteens are generally incapable of reading these older books to be depreciating to pre-teens. Please do not just dismiss that as pure stupidity. Our mental capacities grow as we age - one can hardly deny that. Unless the child is a child prodigy - and how rare is that occurrence - that child is hardly likely to have a mind that comprehend as much as, say, a PhD student.

Let the pre-teen read those "more stupid". It would be a shame to rush through a classic and not glean any importance from it, simply from not understanding

Now remember, 'simple' books aren't always terrible books. One of my favourite books is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". It's very simplistic in my mind, but it's a very good book. Nursery rhymes. Simple stories, passed on for many, many years. Not much credibility there.

I write this long post to you, but I'm aware that the chances of making you read Twilight are nil to none. I can't and won't force you to read the series if you choose not to. However, simply bashing the books based on rumours of the book you have heard is illogical. One cannot make a fair judgement on any topic unless one knows enough about the material in and surrounding that topic. Key word : enough. You may feel that hearing bits of the plot and using assumptions is enough to judge a story. The big picture is enough, in other words. One needs to know the little details in order to make a fair judgement. In the case of a book, that means reading it. Again, you are not forced to read it. Some people read books they predict to be terrible, simply to affirm what they predict. Now, they can make a much fairer judgement.

In the end, every one is entitled to their own opinion, even if it goes against the grain

Btw I'm 18 yet I love Twilight. I’m still rereading the books. Please, don't feel the need to be derogative and belittle me by saying that I'm no better than a 10yo :)

That’s a bit derogative to the 10yo as well