Question:
What does "Corrected Text Edition" mean on a novel?
Adah Rue
2008-01-14 16:20:03 UTC
I am debating between two versions of As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. On Amazon, their is a "Corrected Text" version and a regular edition. What's the difference and which should I purchase?
Four answers:
C_Bar
2008-01-14 17:02:11 UTC
According to the Univ. of Mich. library, in this case it means:

The publisher, Harrison Smith, received Faulkner's typescript for As I Lay Dying in January 1930 and published it with very few editorial changes on October 6, 1930. That text remained the same through various reprints until 1964 when Random House brought out a new edition that was corrected in accordance with the original manuscript and typescript. For the "corrected text" shown here, scholar Noel Polk used Faulkner's own ribbon typescript setting copy, corrected to account for his revisions in proof, his typing errors, and other clear inconsistencies and mistakes.

In this case I'd go with the corrected text. It seems to be the one referred to in more scholarly articles. That is, the corrections seems to be accepted as correct.
skokiesam
2008-01-14 21:52:07 UTC
Depends on what you're buying the book for. If you're buying it just to read, I would go with the corrected text edition. That edition will have what typographical errors were not fixed in the first printing of the book made. Sometimes there is no time (or money) to fix it the first printing, so publishing houses often make what we call "reprint corrections," to ensure that the text is as perfect for our readers as possible (no matter how many printings it takes!).

If you're buying the book for profit, I suggest getting an uncorrected edition, especially if it's a Faulkner. If you can score a first edition, even better. It may not have value now, but it may later on down the pike. For example, the bound galley (selling materials used by the sales force, which using the not-final text) for "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee sold SIGNFICANTLY more money than the first edition, first printing of the book, simply because the bound galley had MISTAKES in it that Harper Lee made but which hadn't been corrected.

Just a thought. It could be that the book won't gain value till you're old and gray, but you should check on eBay if there is even a call for it. If not, heck, go with the uncorrected edition, anyway. I findy typos annoyingly charming.
raguel
2016-12-15 03:27:45 UTC
Corrected Text
Lyra [and the Future]
2008-01-14 16:38:37 UTC
I'm just guessing, but it may mean that they've fixed typos or grammar mistakes. Or maybe its abridged.

Either way, if I were you, I'd go with the original. Even if there are mistakes (and I don't know that there are) I'd read the original just to get into the whole mood. How do you get into the experience of reading a novel if you don't go with the original?